Monday 17 August 2015

Book Review #4: Lola and the Boy Next Door



Olla readers, me again and Alhamdulillah this is my 4th book review and I am so excited about this one.

This book is so relaxing but still not draggy which made me so in love in it until I could finish it in one day haha how cool is that. The characters are just enough for me and they are not too complicated to understand either. I found out that too much characters either minor or major would make myself to be less focus on the characters themselves.

The story already started out with explaining about why Lola was so afraid of their neighbour's come back to the neighbourhood which one of the reason I felt it's fun for me to read more without the need to rush but still make me wanted to continue reading as much as I could.

Even though this is quite an easy reading, I've felt a mix of feeling reading it. Lola love life is so smooth but yet complicated at the same time. The idea of Lola and Cricket living next to each other and that their room is also close to each other made me think of Taylor Swift's song, You Belong With Me and also some other teenage movies I've watched- hoping one day it could happen to me yeah day dreaming.

Somehow I could feel connected with Lola's love life. Because of some misunderstanding and an untold secret, Lola build a brick to separate herself from Cricket. She tried to find the same feeling of love but could not find it and then got together with a rocker man instead. At first I was mad on how people try to separate both of them- I mean despite the age difference, Max sincerely love Lola. Right ? Yeah.. that's what I thought too but then Stephanie Perkins started to mess up with my belief.

***SPOILER PART***

To be honest, at the first half of my reading, I dislike Cricket and Calliope very much. Why did he just moved away without even explaining the truth to Lola ? Nothing is too late. Well a call would do right ? Why did he have to wait until the moment when Lola is happy with Max to mess things up ?

I was on Max's side for quite a while. But then I noticed a few changes on Max while he's busy touring with his band. I know he was there when Lola needed him but not too clear things up. Lola ran to her only to run away from her problems- to run away from her true feelings towards Cricket. She wanted to forget him but she can't- OBVIOUSLY.

When the truth finally comes out- I just hated myself. Max is a liar ! Well I know I should have known but my head seems to not function well- probably because I still cannot forgive Cricket who's obsessed with her sister- Calliope is such a selfish young girl. Max spilled the beans at last- he doesn't even sincerely in love with Lola. He felt like he have too- not because he's not madly adoring Lola like Cricket did. I almost screamed in anger when Lola went to his apartment to clear things up but he yelled that he had slept with a woman ( the word woman is too irritate Lola of course ) and then he slammed the door. I wonder how Lola could cope quite well with that tho.

The romance between Lola and Cricket grew up slowly and steady which made me giggle everytime they are together. In my opinion, things tend to get better and stay wonderful longer with patience in ourselves. Sooner, I realised that Cricket is a resemblance of Peter in 'To All the Boys I've Loved Before' OMG ! How I wished both of them are in my reality !

As for Calliope, even if at the end it is revealed that she is not that bad, I still cannot understand why she's over-protective about her twin. I mean, Cricket is a guy already just leave him write his own story. I felt nothing when Calliope didn't get to be the Champion in the Olympics. She deserves it - hahaha I am mean.

***END OF SPOILER PART***

I really recommend this book tho. It's a light reading really, but worth it :) I am excited to start Anna and the French Kiss ( yeah I did it backward-on purpose ) after I read Anny May's Black Book :D









No comments:

Post a Comment