Tuesday 23 February 2016

Book Review: The Artist of Disappearance




Hello readers.


I joined a book club at my Uni this semester. This is apart of my extra module I am taking. Our first assigned book is The Artist of Disappearance by Anita Desai.
It has 3 stories in it :)
This is my Review for the first one.

Cliff-hanging or not?

Idk why I felt like i need more of this story. Anita Desai ended this one without giving any clue on what happened to the museum after the main character promised to try and manage it. Is the museum even existed?

Let's rewind a bit. The main character which I don't think is named in this story, is a man whom i think either freshly graduated or he has to change his work place. I found out that he is from a well established family living in the city. So at first he is not happy with his work place which is in a suburban side of town. Well I could relate this with him because when I first enter my boarding school, I complaint A LOT !!! because it is NOTHING like my house. But after a long time, those once make a significant difference did not bother me anymore.

The main character job is like an officer who deals with people's land, wealth and things like that. He needs to ensure people in that area get sufficient water supply and equal land. Looks like a stressful job to me because he will somehow be in dilemma on who's going to get more than other. This is not so interesting right? well now I am going to the part where it got me so excited !

An old man ( not too old i think ) come to see him and begged him to visit a museum founded by his master ( a woman ) and do a survey on whether anything could be done to improve the situation. The main character has actually encounter a man saying that there was a museum there but no one knows what had happened so, he listened to the man. Yes, the story behind that museum is exciting and mysterious ! ( i'm not going to give any spoiler here haha )

He went there. Honestly by just reading I could imagine how wonderful and sourceful the museum is ! It almost got every bits of every country in the world ! 

The main character is having too much surprises from the caretaker and the museum itself so i think he is like not believing what he had seen. But he did say he will try to do something.

To my dissapointment, HE DID NOT DO ANYTHING !!!! Now, he is even at a higher position in his work and yet he did not want to go back and find that museum. How could he ? I mean, it's a museum ! We need to preserve all the artifacts in it. I am so sad to be honest.

Anita Desai is good in inserting mysterious feelings in her story. To me it has given me a certain feeling of emptiness in my heart. Humm or that was her intention to the  readers ?

No comments:

Post a Comment